Infamous abortionist quits late-term abortions

Scandal-plagued late-term abortionist, LeRoy Carhart, has stopped committing abortions in Germantown, Maryland, according to Operation Rescue.  At Germantown Reproductive Health Services, Carhart committed late abortions through the ninth month of pregnancy.  Carhart, who splits his time between Maryland and Nebraska, last committed abortions at the Germantown facility during the week of October 30, 2016, according to sources.  Although Carhart returned on November 8, he stayed only a few hours and allegedly refused several women seeking late abortions.

Troy Newman, president of Operation Rescue said last week, “The fact that Carhart will no longer be aborting babies in Maryland is something to be grateful for this Thanksgiving.  We congratulate our co-laborers at the Maryland Coalition for Life for their hard work that has made this day a reality.”  Germantown Reproductive Health Services was one of only four places in the United States where abortionists are known to commit abortions through all nine months of pregnancy.  Since Carhart quit, there are now only three places in the United States that openly offer these barbaric very late-term abortions.  The Germantown abortion mill will remain open, committing abortions up to 19 weeks.

Carhart began committing late abortions in Maryland in 2010 after Pro-Life legislative efforts in Nebraska thwarted his lucrative business scheme.  Nebraska became the first state to pass the “Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act,” legislation that protects preborn children after 20 weeks’ gestation because they demonstrably feel the gruesome pain of abortion.  After the life-saving legislation went into effect, Carhart could no longer reap lucrative profits from the nearly 1,000 late abortions he committed in Nebraska.  Forced by the success of ardent Pro-Lifers, Carhart sought other states to establish a facility for late abortions.  He settled on Maryland.

Late abortions involve not only the gruesome death of an undeniably viable baby, but also pose great risks to the mother’s health because the abortion procedure is invasive and violent.   Unsurprisingly, at least eight women were rushed to the emergency room after undergoing late abortions committed by Carhart.  A 29-year-old woman, Jennifer Morbelli, died from complications inflicted by an abortion at 33 weeks committed by Carhart.

After years of no accountability, this abysmal record of injury and death did begin, finally, to receive attention.  Earlier this year, the House Select Investigative Panel on Infant Lives subpoenaed Carhart and Germantown Reproductive Health Services for documents related to these cases and suspicions that Carhart and his staff killed or abandoned babies born alive in abortions.  The Panel stated:

The Select Investigative Panel has turned its attention to the allegations of practices by late-term abortionist LeRoy Carhart and a Germantown, Maryland, abortion clinic.  Public reports indicate at least five women have been sent to the hospital since December while seeking an abortion in this clinic.  The clinic is one of the few in the nation that performs abortions during the third trimester.

Additionally, one of Carhart’s former patients filed a lawsuit against him this year alleging negligence/malpractice.  Wendy Devine almost died in a seriously botched late abortion.  We hope that as more of these abuses come to light, the victims receive justice.  Tragically, the greatest victims, the preborn babies, will never see justice under our current laws that allow for their death.

Carhart’s story should encourage the Pro-Life movement.  Strong Pro-Life laws forced Carhart to abandon a lucrative late-term abortion business in Nebraska.  Committed Pro-Lifers tirelessly work to bring attention to Carhart’s victims.  These efforts may well have contributed to Carhart’s decision to stop the gruesome late abortions he committed in Germantown.